Missing Soompi Forums

It’s been a while since I played with Adobe Photoshop. I still remember when I was in Cardiff (before getting married and stuff :P), Soompi.com/forums can be called my online home.

Without fail, after lectures, I’ll log in to Soompi Forums. After a day out, log in to Soompi Forums. Even after talking to my future hubby (at that time, hehe), I’ll log in to Soompi Forums.

Enough to say, without surfing and posting in Soompi Forums at least once a day, my life is incomplete somehow.

My interest for Photoshop also began there. I don’t know if any of you readers were once or still a member of that particular forum, but the forum is a very fun place to stay.

Before I go on, this is not an advertorial by the way. I was just telling how life-changing Soompi Forums was to me. XD

Back to the story.

Indeed, it was fun. It was like, a once stop centre. From general discussion to food to love and relationship to cars to mangas/manhwas to anything you could think of!

But the most important thing is, it got the Kpop world covered. He heh.

Back then (and still is, I’m afraid) I was a BIG fan of Kpop, so Soompi Forums is a GREAT platform. You have everything you want to know over there. Artist’s profiles, pictures, song / drama / OST download, you name it. Back in the day, everything was just a click away. Easy peasy.

However, since I’m not actually talking about Kpop in this particular post, there is one section named Soompi Artists in the forum, with 3 different threads.

1. Fanfix – where all inspiring writers shared their stories (fan + fiction = fanfix). The main hero/heroine was usually KPop/KDramas artists, so it’s a treat for fans actually. You can imagine your star in a particular story without any trouble. ^^


2. Artwork – where you can post graphics, drawings, manipulations etc.


3. Performers – clips of forumers playing instruments, singing, dancing or whatever you could think off, the limit is imagination!

At first, I frequented the fanfix thread first. I love reading so that’s self-explainable. Every story (maybe 98% of them) would have posters of their own, or even a character chart. Sometimes, the poster looked even better than any film posters.

I googled soompi fanfic poster and LOTS of posters appeared. One of my favourite?

credit to adorkablesz from Soompi Forums

I remember I'’ll look at a poster like above and thought, will I be able to do the same? I can learn how to do one too!

With that mindset defined, my rough journey with Photoshop begins.

Thanks to the internet, I had been looking and learning from free tutorials on how to do this, how to do that in Photoshop rather than doing my university assignments. I do wonder why didn’t I take a course related to this rather than doing engineering at one point, but I got to my senses rather quickly. Ha ha. T___T

When first I published my rather amateurish posters in Soompi Forums, I wasn’t phishing for compliments. I was looking for critical comments, but my post was ignored. I remember it took 10 days after the posters were published when a forumer left a comment.

He/She said,

Interesting posters, I can see you are making some progress. Do practice and your skill will be as good as or even better than others.

I was happy for the whole week for that little comment, knowing somebody had taken a look at my artworks and felt that I can improve. That is good enough, no? *smiles*

So I began making posters, try this kind of texture, try that kind of blending and finally find my own distinctive style. I love making them as film posters, so usually I’ll get the whole credit thing you can see on a film poster like, who’s the main actor, director, make-up artists and stuff.

It’s a pity that just after I got back from Malaysia, the interest waned. I blamed myself for the lack of me time, and of course, my laziness too. My visits to the forum was getting lesser every day, to the point where I think I forgot about it altogether. To be honest, I couldn’t remember the last time I had logged in after I decided to get married and busily organised my own wedding.

Today, I went back to Soompi, and it was like a trip down the memory lane. Funny, it’s only been 2 years at most.

Does a memory was meant to be forgotten so that we could remember again?

I wonder.



Luis Bunel: I can only wait for the final amnesia, the one that can erase an entire life.

No comments:

Do jot down your opinion! ^^

Feel free to use any information or images you found in this blog but do credit properly! Thank you. Powered by Blogger.